<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, April 20, 2004



I'm pretty bummed out right now. I set my video recorder to tape the Charlie Rose show last night because the Brazilian musician, Caetano Veloso, was going to make an appearance. I get home today expecting to see that and instead I see Senator John McCain being interviewed. I guess there was a change in plans. I was hoping to incorporate the interview with Caetano Veloso into this, but I guess I will have to change things a little bit. I suppose that not everyone will identify with the following analogy, but here it goes. Caetano Veloso's voice is like a beautiful woman wearing a silk skirt. I slide my hand slowly up her leg until I feel the silk against the back of my hand while my fingertips feel the warmth of her skin. I then lift her top slightly and brush my cheek against her soft belly. I close my eyes and let out a sigh of amazement. Yes, his voice is that good. I don't remember when or why I became interested in Brazilian music, but I'm so thankful that I did. There are so many amazing artists that have come from this country, but I'm only going to focus on Mr. Veloso. His concert at the John Anson Ford Theater on July 3, 1999 was one of the greatest concerts I have ever experienced. Part of the reason was the venue. An open air theater in July equals natural beauty. He was touring for the album Livro and I remember the core of the backing band was a small string section and about five kids playing percussion. I can't even remember if there was an actual drummer because these kids were amazing. Beck came out at one point and he and Caetano did a duet on the song "Baby." Towards the end of the show during one song each member of the band came out to the front of the stage and did a little dance. Beck even participated showing off some Prince-like dance moves. Veloso's work has been an influence on Beck especially the album Mutations. One of my top ten albums of all time is Veloso's self-titled album from, I believe, 1968. This is simply great pop music. Amazing arrangements by Rogerio Duprat. Don't be put off by the foreign language because this ranks right up there with the best work of American and English artists of the time. Veloso is also one of the few artists who is, after more than thirty years, still making music that is relevant and of quality. Do yourself a favor and pick up any compilation which mentions the word "Tropicalia" and features artists like Veloso, Gal Costa, Tom Ze, Gilberto Gil, and Os Mutantes.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?