<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, August 04, 2004



I went to see Reigning Sound at the Henry Fonda Theater last night. I thought they were really good although they seem to be down to a three piece right now. Greg Cartwright really can sing. I hope people take some notice of them because they deserve it. They had nice write ups in the last two issues of Mojo magazine. I didn't stick around to see the Hives or Sahara Hotnights. I've seen the Hives twice before and the first time I thought they were great. They opened for International Noise Conspiracy and they really were a breath of fresh air. I had heard their records, but I wasn't really blown away by the songs, but I thought I would check them out live anyway. I was really impressed with the show. I think I had a smile on my face the whole time. About six months later I saw them again, but this time they were headlining and they just didn't do anything for me. I guess I lost interest in their shtick rather quickly. They're a good band, but I don't quite get why they are getting so much attention. It seems like a lot of the mainstream press just focuses on them and lets other quality bands fall by the wayside, in effect making these other bands seem insignificant. That's why I hate that "great men" theory of criticism because it always ends up with "these bands matter and these don't." I like Mojo magazine because they tend to not fall into this category of criticism. The new issue has a pretty big article about the Hives, but it also has three little articles about Reigning Sound, the Ponys, and the Hunches. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Hives are perfectly fine, but give a band like Reigning Sound a chance. They have three really good records out which I can't help but think that people would like if only they listened to them. Check out a Gories record too while you're at it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?