<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, September 14, 2004



Sunday afternoon I went to see a screening of LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE FABULOUS STAINS at the New Beverly Cinema in L.A. I wrote about this film in an earlier posting and after more than twenty years I was finally able to see it again. I was not disappointed in the slightest. The film may have some flaws, but it is really a good movie. I don't really want to write an essay so I'm just going to throw out some observations here:

Diane Lane was probably about 15 or 16 when she made the film. I think the term "jailbait" was created for girls like her and it is easy to remember why I had such a crush on her way back when. She is truly an actress as well. There are lines in the movie which might sound bad or corny spoken by someone else, but she really makes you believe in what she is saying. In the movie she really has this great "fuck you" attitude that she pulls off really well. I was really happy to see her get an Academy Award nomination for UNFAITHFUL a couple of years ago. She's a really good actress who deserves better roles than the ones she has had in the recent past.

The Stains remind me somewhat of the Shaggs and they prefigure quite a bit in what became "indie rock." I can see the roots of Beat Happening, the Pastels, and of course many of the riot grrrl bands. In the film it is quite amazing to realize that this band is becoming popular when it consists of only a singer, bass player, and guitar player. That bass player is played by Laura Dern.

Paul Simonon from the Clash is in the film.

Black Randy and the Metro Squad make an appearance which is quite unexpected.

E.G. Daily from VALLEY GIRL has a brief appearance as a maid.

Lou Adler directed this movie. He's the guy always sitting next to Jack Nicholson at Laker games.

Tonight I also watched a brief documentary about the film which I bought a few months back. I think it was made a few years ago and it is interesting to see then current interviews with many people involved in the film. It also discusses how much of a true cult film it is and how it has affected many current musicians. Hopefully the film will come out on dvd someday with this documentary included as well as other extras. I would love to see interviews with all the musicians who love the film.

All I can say is if you where in your early teens in the late seventies or early eighties and you were discovering punk rock at that time then you have to see this movie. It is not the punk episode of Quincy. It is the antithesis of that. It is quality.



Tomorrow night Tackhead are playing at the Echo. They are known for being the house band for Sugarhill Records back in the day, but I know them more for their work with Gary Clail, Mark Stewart, Adrian Sherwood and On U Sound Records. I saw them in 1987 or 1988 at the Palace in Hollywood. I think there were less than fifty people there. All the people I just mentioned were involved in that particular show, but I don't think that will be the case tomorrow at least vocals-wise. Other than the sparse crowd, the thing I remember about that show was the incredible bass. It was the kind of bass that pummels your body and I loved it. I'm kind of low on money right now so I don't know if I will make it, but if I don't go I sure hope I don't regret not going.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?