<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, October 23, 2004



I really like being surprised. Well, maybe I should rethink that because sometimes there are bad surprises, like working late last night and not being able to go see Autolux and Sons and Daughters opening for Clinic. However (stated a la Steven A. Smith), pleasant surprises are always wonderful. That was the case Thursday night as I must have been dozing recently and did not realize that THE OFFICE special was going to be shown on BBC America that night. Three hours of THE OFFICE sounded like heaven to me. I really love this show, although I could see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. It is basically a mock-documentary about the employees of an office in England. The humor is very subtle and quite dry most of the time, but it can really get you grabbing your sides laughing at times. It is a perverse kind of laughter at times as well because many of the laughs come at the expense of characters put into uncomfortable situations. This is one of the shows where I find myself laughing as well as cringing. The special was about two hours long and it was about the documentary crew catching up with the characters three years later. There is a scene at the end which just floored me. In the context of the general tone of the show the scene just comes off as truly poignant. It is the whole unrequited love thing becoming love, but it is done really well and it really moved me. I guess I am a pussy. The third hour was about the making of the show and it is also entertaining and informative. If you have BBC America and you haven't checked out the show then you should and both seasons of the show are available on dvd and the special is coming out soon I think so there is no excuse to not see it. I've read that there is an American version starting this tv season so I wonder how that will turn out.

Options for tonight:

Go see ROSEMARY"S BABY projected outdoors at a cemetary in Hollywood. This sounds really cool, but my laziness may overtake me today.

I was listening to a Sonic Boom mp3 from the 20 Jazz Funk Greats site and I really started thinking about being at a bar where all they were playing was stuff that sounded like that. A bar that isn't overcrowded with good, cheap drinks and some great music playing. I don't really know of any, but I'll probably go out drinking tonight anyway.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?