<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, October 26, 2004



John Peel has apparently died at the age of 65 from a heart attack. I was pretty shocked by this news when I read about it a little earlier this morning. I guess he was a huge indirect influence on me. While in high school I used to read the British weeklies like NME, Sounds, and Melody Maker like a Bible. At the end of the year I think the NME would print Peel's Festive Fifty which were his top songs of the year. Oh how I yearned to be able to hear his show back then. I always wanted to hear the four song sessions he would record with all the bands I loved. It is great that quite a few of those sessions are now available on vinyl and cd. Like I said I was never able to hear his show even when it was available on the internet because usually I would be at work at that time. It's funny because just two weeks ago I thought of him because my friend was supposed to give me a cd-r of the Hunches playing live on his show. Here is someone who definitely contributed positively to the music world. It's time to throw on "Teenage Kicks" by the Undertones. Cheers Mr. Peel!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?