<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, October 20, 2004



Monday night I watched a movie called VANISHING POINT and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Honestly, I think it's something I'm going to have to watch again to really see how I feel. To put it bluntly it is a road movie, or maybe better stated it is an anti-road movie. To a certain degree, like I HEART HUCKABEES, it is dealing with existentialism. Too much to deal with here now, but it must mean something to the band Primal Scream because they named an album after the movie and a song after the lead character, Kowalski.

The reason I even bring the movie up is because yesterday my job sent me out to Las Vegas at four in the afternoon. There's a lot of driving involved in the movie and yesterday that is pretty much all I did. All my driving was done in the dark, though, and the only "sights" I saw were the pitch blackness outside which would occasionally be broken up by bursts of civilization on the side of the road. My radio doesn't work very well so most of the time I was left with simply my thoughts to entertain myself. It's funny what you start to think about in situations like that. Maybe it's just me, but I start thinking about my place in the world. The grand existential questions pop into my head. I find myself thinking about girls quite a bit as well. Quite a juxtaposition going on in my head. So you can imagine eight hours of that. "What is my significance in this world, " followed immediately by, "That one girl is so beautiful and cool.." Existential questions really came to mind in the area of Wrightwood and Devore. It was raining really hard to the point where you could barely see, the wind was blowing all this rain all over the place, and it was foggy as well. There were a couple of times where I thought, "Am I going to get in an accident and die out here?" As you can note I made it home safely. Las Vegas was simply a blur. It was quite surreal. I ate and gambled a little and then I left. It is strange to be surrounded by all those glittering lights and then suddenly you are in the pitch black of the highway.

I got home at about three in the morning and right before I did an Autolux song came on the radio. I'm really digging that song. I wonder how the rest of their album sounds? I think I'm going to have to see them live on Friday.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?