<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, October 17, 2004



Thursday night I went to see the Dirtbombs at the Knitting Factory. Their line-up seems to change each time I see them lately. Last time they came through town the girl from Ko and the Knockouts was playing bass and this time she was present, but they had a new guy playing the other bass. This may sound odd to some, but there is one guitar, two bass guitars, and two drum kits. Needless to say that is quite a sound coming from the stage. Mick Collins is just great. If you want to hear some great garage rock buy some records from some of the other bands he has been in like the Gories and Blacktop. The band was in pretty fine form and they probably played the longest set I've ever seen them do. I think they did about three encores. They play quite a few covers on their albums, but in these encores they played quite a few songs that I did not expect to hear like "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath, "Baby's On Fire" by Brian Eno, "Use Me" by Bill Withers, and "Dirt" by the Stooges. I went home very pleased by the show.

One of the opening bands was the Immortal Lee County Killers and they were a pleasant surprise. They are not doing anything new, basically playing bluesed-out punk rock, but they did it well. I give them credit for playing a cover of Pussy Galore's "Revolution Summer." Many bands associated with Jon Spencer don't seem to get the respect they deserve so it's nice to see someone giving credit where credit is due. For whatever reason some people and critics fall all over themselves in praising Jack White and they bad mouth the Blues Explosion as some joke band. If you think that Jack White is any more true to the spirit of the "blues" than Jon Spencer or anyone else then you are an idiot. Wake up and by some records by the Gun Club, Poison 13, Jack O' Fire, Gibson Bros., and the Bassholes.

Today I saw Jon Brion play for free at Amoeba Records. Suze is a HUGE fan and used to go see him play every weekend. I don't quite understand that type of extreme devotion, but I can see why she loves the music. He's an impressive multi-instrumentalist and he sure can write a melody. I have to say that I've really enjoyed the scores he has done for films, especially the most recent from I HEART HUCKABEES. He played some selections from that today and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to have to buy this soundtrack sometime soon.

I don't really have any gigs lined up this week. Money's kind of tight right now so I'm probably better off not going out.

Things I'm tempted to go to:

Mistreaters and Baseball Furies at Spaceland on Tuesday. Garage Punk bands that I haven't really heard much by so this may fall by the wayside.

Autolux is opening for Clinic on Friday at the Henry Fonda Theater and I'm starting to think I might go to this. I've been hearing some songs on the radio by Autolux lately and I've really liked them. I'm also curious to see the other opening band Sons and Daughters. I guess I'll have to see if this has sold out yet.

Sunday I'm going to Disneyland. I haven't been there in quite some time so now seems as good a time as any: Disneyland and California Adventures( which I have yet to see) for a single reduced ticket price and I think the park has some special Halloween themed sites going on as well. So far only my friends Dave and Sandy have shown any interest in joining me, but I'm sure we'll have a good time.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?