<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, November 12, 2004



I have a feeling I'm going to be really tired today. I got home at about 1:30 this morning and I had trouble falling asleep until much later. Maybe that had something to do with what I witnessed last night. I went to see Wolf Eyes and Comets on Fire and finally a show lived up to my expectations. I had read quite a bit about these bands and I was not disappointed when I actually saw them play live. I doubt I'll pick up their records, but I will definitely go check them out live again. Last night was about complete atonality pretty much. The closest thing to songs anyone played was by Coments on Fire. The simplest description for them is psych-rock. The guys vocals reminded me of Mark Arm from Mudhoney and the guitar freak-outs also reminded me of that band a little. At the same time they don't sound like Mudhoney at all, if that makes any sense. I enjoyed the crazy, distorted jamming played at ear-splitting volume. Here's a little blurb I stole from the site, Throwaway Style:

"Comets on Fire are Ethan Miller (guitar, vocals), Noel Harmonson (echoplex), Ben Flashman (bass), Ben Chasny (guitar), and Utrillo Kushner (drums). Since forming in Santa Cruz, California in 1999 this band have been destroying audiences with their fiercely anti commercial acid-freakout rock and roll. Ethan Miller in fact states that: 'audiences should be left exhausted and abused by the intensity of our attack, and if they don’t like us then they should be punished even worse.'"


Wolf Eyes were next and they were basically about soundscapes. A quick reference for me would be a noisier and more free form Whitehouse It is amazing what just sound can do. It was a trio consisting of keyboards, guitar, and saxaphone, and some kind of drum machine and they were just brutal. Both these bands took their music beyond an aural experience and into the realm of pure visceral experience. It really is quite amazing to hear non-stop squeeling coming from a keyboard to the point it is almost painful. Some people may not like this, but I must admit I enjoy it as a contrast to all the other types of music I like. I think I read that Jeff Tweedy of Wilco is a fan of Wolf Eyes and I find some perverse pleasure in that. Wilco is playing next week at the Wiltern and I wish Wolf Eyes were opening for them. I would love to see the crowd reaction to them. It would just be priceless. I briefly talked to my friend Tim who was playing bass for a really good band called All Night Radio. It truly is a shame that they broke up recently because they were, in my opinion, one of L.A. 's finest live bands. He said he's working on some material with the drummer, Jimi Hey, so hopefully something interesting will come out of that.

If I go out tomorrow I'm going to go see a documentary called MOOG about Robert Moog who invented one of the first synthesizers. That's playing in the Fairfax district which gives me time to run over to the Troubadour and see the Warlocks right after the movie.

Thursday is Sunn 0)) and Earth over at the Knitting Factory. Whereas last night was a fast type of noisy, Thursday should be a slow and heavy noisy.

Friday is Wilco.

Saturday is Blonde Redhead and Autolux at the Henry Fonda Theater.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?