<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, December 15, 2004



Spiritualized have a song called "Good Dope, Good Fun" and this is what I want to write about today. Actually I should say it is a variation of that which would more appropriately be termed "good drinks, good company." I get down sometimes and then something happens which makes me realize that it is often the most simple and basic things that bring me great pleasure in my life. Sunday and Monday I spent my evening sitting in bars talking to friends and it was really enjoyable. First of all it helps if you are in fine surroundings and that is definitely the case at the Cat and Fiddle in Hollywood. This restaurant is located about two blocks west of Amoeba records and I can think of no better combo than going record shopping then having a few drinks right after. Well, there are a few things better, but this one still ranks pretty high in my book. The Cat and Fiddle is located in a building that looks like it was built in the twenties and it has a courtyard where you can sit and drink and eat. That's what I did on Sunday with Suze and Rick and it was a casual and satisfying way to end the day. Monday, Alexis gave me a call and I ended up meeting her in Long Beach to watch Monday Night Football. Once again good drinks and good conversation. Some people need more flashy attractions, but I'm quite happy just sitting around and chatting with good friends.

Last night I headed over to Spaceland with Suze to see S'Cool Girls and RTX. I had heard good things about S'Cool Girls, but now I have seen them and I don't think I'll make an effort to see them again. I was hoping to see a New York Dolls kind of rock band and instead it was more like Poison. I can see where people would enjoy this in a campy way, but I wanted something a little more substantial. The New York Dolls were also pretty campy and looked like drag queens, but they had great songs and true swagger. S'Cool Girls come off as more of a Vegas style novelty act and I can do without that especially when it reminds me of Poison. Suze had given me somewhat of a hard time last week about my review of the Kills in which part of my argument was that Royal Trux had kind of already done the sexy couple thing already and better. Well, last night Jennifer Herrema was playing without Neil Haggerty in RTX which is what Royal Trux has evolved into. After seeing Jennifer in action I think Suze could see the point I was trying to make. In my eyes she is nowhere near as hot as she used to be, but she is definitely a Rock Star. She is really skinny nowadays and she reminded me, in terms of her face, of a feral Hillary Duff. She just has stage presence and I wish I could remember some names of other performers who you can tell it is all just posturing, whereas with Jennifer it just comes off as completely real and natural. As to the show, I still love her gravelly vocals, but the music was a little too metal-ish for my tastes and that is part of the reason I stopped listening to Royal Trux in the first place after they signed with Virgin. Still, I can't say I was completely disappointed. It was a good show just not what I really wanted to hear from them.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?