<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 30, 2005



Haven't gone to too many shows lately and I don't see that really changing anytime soon. I'm thinking this year that I should see more bands that I've never seen before rather than bands that I've seen many times already. We'll see how that works out. Here's what my future looks like and hopefully other stuff will pop up to fill the gaps between these listings.

Oddly enough I've never seen Luna and now they are breaking up and their last show in L.A. is Friday at the El Rey. I loved Galaxie 500 so I don't really know why I never bothered to check out Luna or Damon and Naomi for that matter. Midnight Movies are opening so I'm kind of interested in going, but tickets are $25 which seems kind of steep. They are playing in San Diego at the Casbah on Thursday which is a much smaller club and I'm sure the ticket is cheaper as well. The only drawback is driving two hours down there and having to work the next day. What shall I do? I might skip this entirely and hop on the metro and check out a bar I've been curious about in downtown L.A. Maybe grab some dinner and then walk on down to this bar just to do something different.

February 11th is Sweet and Tender Hooligans at the Knitting Factory and I'm really looking forward to this. By the name of the band you've probably guessed that this is a Smiths/Morrissey cover band and for this show they are playing the album Meat is Murder in its entirety. That's my favorite Smiths' album so I'm sure I'll have a great time. My friend Tita is going to be there as well as some other girls I used to go to shows with all the time so I'm pretty sure this is going to be a blast.

The following night is Comets on Fire at the Echo. I enjoyed them last time they played there so this time should be good as well.

February 15th is Electric Eel Shock at the Silverlake Lounge. I've never heard them, but I may go check this out.

Things get a bit tricky here. According to the band's website they are playing the Casbah on February 24th while the Casbah website says they are playing March 24th. The band is Ambulance LTD and both shows state that Autolux is opening. I'll probably go at the very least to see Autolux which I've stated enough times that I really like. Ambulance LTD I'm not quite sure about. I do love their song called "Heavy Lifting," but I'm not certain if I like their whole album. They kind of have a shoegazer sound and I bought the album based on hearing the aforementioned song. Upon a first listen I wasn't really blown away and I thought I would trade it back in for some credit at a record shop. I gave it another chance and I found myself liking a majority of the songs so I kept it. I guess it depends on what kind of mood I'm in when I listen to it as to whether I really like it. I've missed each time they've come through town so I will probably try to see them this time. So far I haven't seen an L.A. show listed, but hopefully that wil appear because I would rather not go to San Diego on a Thursday night.

February 26th is Paul Westerberg at the Anaheim House of Blues.

March 13th is Slint at the Avalon. I'm looking forward to this. I don't think they ever played L.A. in the past. I heard in England they are playing all of the Spiderland album so hopefully that will be the case here as well although I'd like to hear stuff from the first album as well.

March 20th is Secret Machines at the Galaxy Theater in Santa Ana. Autolux is opening so I will probably be there. The same bill is playing the night before in San Diego so maybe I'll go then instead and make a day of it in that town.

April 14th is the Wedding Present at the Troubadour. I haven't seen them in a long time so I'm sure I'll be at this one.

April 30th and May 1st is the Coachella Music Festival. After last year I told myself I would never go again, but.... I still think I won't go again. I just saw the line-up and it's kind of intriguing, but I know I can't deal with all that traffic and people again. I would really like to see Gang of Four though. And Wolf Eyes. And the Cocteau Twins. And Wilco....

I've just gotten into this whole bit torrent business and I guess this is how I've been experiencing live music lately. I went to the record swap meet today and it was nice to see all the live bootlegs sitting at booths and knowing that I don't have to shell out the bucks for some questionable quality releases. More than likely I can find it on the web, even video footage. So far I've downloaded a Rolling Stones show from 1972, a Smiths show from 1985, a Pussy Galore Peel Session from 1990, and a Go Betweens show from 1987. Right now I'm interested in getting shows from L.A. as all of these are except for the Pussy Galore. I've got a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time doing this in the near future.

The following is filed in the unexpected occurrences file in one's life. After the swap meet today I ate at a chain restaurant called Chili's and I heard the Uncle Tupelo song "Acuff-Rose" being played over their sound system. It's nice to be surprised like that. At another chain restaurant called Claim Jumper I once heard the Pernice Brothers being played amongst other unexpected groups. Finally at a bar in Long Beach I like to frequent, I once had the pleasure of responding to the question, "Do you know what this is?" by saying, "Incense and Peppermints by the Strawberry Alarm Clock."

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?