<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 27, 2005



Quick impressions:

Joy Zipper- arrived at Spaceland and it's free to get in. Sat at the bar and ordered a beer as the first band went on. The girl singer is wearing a leopard print bikini as the band plays some new-wavy rock. I'm out and I enjoy another beer while watching the end of the Clipper basketball game which someone had luckily left on the tv behind the bar. Joy Zipper were on next and though I wasn't blown away by them I did like them quite a bit. Every review I had read described them with a sound that was right up my alley. Unfortunately their records were expensive imports so I never really had a chance to actually hear them for a few years. They have a nice sound. I like the blending of the guy and girl vocals. Musically it is a sound that is perfect for summer(Beach Boys-ish) while occasionally being a little more dark and aggresive(Velvet Underground-ish). I also liked the fact that the guy played his guitar like Bill Wyman played bass. I will definitely make an effort to see them again if they come back through town. It would be interesting to see them with a full band because this time it was only a guy and girl with keyboards, guitar, and an I-Pod. Who knows, maybe this is how they play live all the time? Exit the club and I'm home by 11:30. Perfect.

Due to a bit of a family emergency on Friday I was unable to make the Stars show at the Troubadour. I was bummed out a little bit because I was actually looking forward to this show quite a bit. How often do I get to go to a show where I want to see all the bands who are playing? The L.A. Times reviewed the Thursday night show and the reviewer had to throw in a reference to the Arcade Fire. First of all I don't think any of the bands share any sonic comparisons to the Arcade Fire, so is the only link that all the bands are from Canada? I don't know why this bugs me, but it does. Just review the god-damn show that you watched and don't mention the hot band everyone likes just because they share the same geographical area.

This week is a toss up. I may see some shows, I may not see some shows. Monday is Ed Harcourt and Martha Wainwright at Hotel Cafe and Wednesday is Midnight Movies at Spaceland.

I watched the American version of THE OFFICE on Thursday. I had read some really bad reviews about it prior to watching, but I have to say that I thought it was fine. I can't help but think about the original while watching the new version, but the new version wasn't bad at all. I wonder if the reviews would be different if people didn't already have the English version to reference. I laughed a few times and that is something I didn't think I would do based on all the bad reviews I had read. The original is magic, but the American version seems to have some potential so I will still give it a chance.

I haven't gone to the movies since January, but I think that will change this upcoming weekend. I'm not a comic book buff, but the film version of SIN CITY has really gotten my attention. The visuals look amazing and hopefully the whole film can live up to that.

Comments:
I've seen two episodes of the American version of The Office, and I think it's pretty funny. I don't know how much they can really do with the premise in the long run, but for a season or two, I think I could enjoy it; that's not bad for a new sitcom. Seems like only one comes along every few years, on regular television that is, that I will watch, and I'm already committed to Arrested Development. The Office is clever in a similarly likeable way.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?