<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, May 08, 2005




I'm waiting for a red line train. Enclosed by concrete walls and even though there are numerous people surrounding me I feel completely alone in the world. As I continue waiting for the train and feeling that despondency suddenly there is a build up of wind as the train approaches the station. The breeze gets stronger as a hint of light from the train's headlight becomes noticeable in the previously dark tunnel. The train is now completely visible as it enters the station and the wind is strong enough to make peoples' hair and clothes flap around. For a second I forget where I am and who I am and I feel a little bit of happiness. It is a cleansing of sorts. I'm transported to the possiblity of sitting on a beautiful beach while a breeze pleasantly flows around me. It is a brief feeling of rejuvenation.

The picture above is not the Ahmanson Theater, but it is practically across the street from it. It's the Frank Gehry designed Walt Disney Concert Hall and I love its fluid lines. I went to the Ahmanson to see PLAY WITHOUT WORDS. I guess you could call it a musical although there are no vocals or dialogue. It is only dance and music. It is set in early sixties London and it is about relationships and the duplicity and power struggles within them. To be honest the plot is hard to extract from what you see, but what there is to see makes you not care about the plot so much. The clothes are cool, the jazzy score is cool, the set design is cool. The most interesting thing to me was the dance and blocking. What was also interesting was that a certain role would be played by three different actors and sometimes they would be all on stage at the same time. If three characters were interacting there was a chance that nine people would all be on stage and it was fascinating to watch the choreography make that work. I must say that it was really interesting to see sexual tension and seduction expressed through dance. Nothing says erotic like comely dancers with nice legs prowling across the stage. This was my first experience at a big theatrical event and I did not come away disappointed.

Tuesday I am probably going to the Ponys, Nathaniel Mayer, and the Willowz at the Echo. Nathaniel Mayer is an old R&B singer in the vein of Andre Williams so he should be interesting, although I have read that his voice is pretty shot. Saturday will be the Wedding Present once again this time at the Roxy.


Comments:
I'm glad you had the opportunity to see this, as I know it had intrugued you. I have limited personal experience myself with the musical theatre, or theatre in general, for that matter, though I saw Rent and enjoyed it far more than I would like others to know.

Over the summer, I'd be interested in checking out a show or two, so let's keep our eyes open for some interesting productions, large or small...
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?